Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Charlotte's First Major Injury

It was Saturday a couple weekends ago.  I was heading to a wedding shower with Charlotte.  Andrew was heading to a Purdue football game with Tommy.  Andrew left before I was ready so Charlotte was with me in the bathroom.  I normally remember to pull the cords up so Charlotte won't grab them but of course the ONE TIME I forget, she grabs the cord to my curling iron and she pulls it down.  I grab the curling iron and set it back on the counter and let go but I didn't realize that Charlotte still had the cord in her hand.  She pulled it down again and the barrel of the curling iron rolled down her leg.  
She. Was. Pissed.  
I put cold water on it and tried to calm her down.  She really didn't cry that long.  She was very clingy  though after that.  She ended up being in a pretty good mood so I decided to go to the shower and call the doctor on the way there, just in case.  All the offices were closed so I talked to someone on some Nurse Line.  I answered all of her questions. After the spanish inquisition, she told me to take her to the emergency room.  
Now with my first child, I definitely would have gone to the emergency room.  However, when I did, they told me Tommy probably had cystic fibrosis (when in fact, it was just a constipation issue) so I try to avoid the ER at all costs.  So I tried to WebMD myself out of having to go to the ER with a baby.  She was in a really great mood the rest of the day.  She never had a fever.  The burn only blistered in two tiny places.  I called two medical professionals in my circle of trust and they confirmed that I could get away with home treatment.  We lubed up the wound with neosporin, kept it bandaged, and waited until Monday when I could see her pediatrician.  

 Look at her! Tough as nails! She had a great time at the shower.

 It was a dessert shower.  She loved the treats!

I picked out a mini cupcake for her but she grabbed the cream puff off my plate and shoved it in her mouth.  She's a woman who knows what she wants! Poke that puff! :) 

The picture on the left is in the afternoon a few hours after it happened.  The picture in the middle is the next day.  The picture on the right is later in the week when the blisters opened it was pretty gross.
The pediatrician was the one that pointed out that it actually rolled down her leg. I thought it landed longways but he said you can see where the opening of the curling iron hit from the two lines on each side of the burn.  Poor baby. :(

This is the burn yesterday.  All the burned skin is peeling off and it's healing really well.  It's too bad it had to happen right before her birthday! Oh well. Memories, right?

So to summarize, we get an F- in babyproofing, an A in Wound Management, and we now know Charlotte is one tough little chica.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...